Congregation Mickve Israel in Savannah, Georgia is the third-oldest Jewish congregation in America and the oldest congregation practicing Reform Judaism.
In 1733 a group of Jews sailed from England on a ship called The William and Sarah. They came to Savannah seeking religious tolerance and founded the Kahal Kadosh Mickva Israel, now the Congregation Mickve Israel. For almost 100 years, the Congregation had no formal Synagogue and held services in the homes of members and rented houses. In 1820, they built the first Synagogue in the State of Georgia.
They expanded to their current sanctuary in 1878. Located in Savannah’s Historic District, it is an impressive neo-Gothic, Victorian-style building. Congregation Mickve Israel has a museum detailing its history and offers tours of the sanctuary during the week.